collection with all the tickets of the European cup final

Home European cup final tickets | History | Gallery | Contact

GALLERY '80 / 1980 Decade / 1987 European cup final tickets

European cup final tickets

1987 European Cup Final (Vienna)

Porto 2 Bayern Munich 1
Porto: Mlynarczyk, Joao Pinto (capt), Eduardo Luis, Celso, Ignacio (Frasco), Quim (Juary), Magalhaes, Madjer, Sousa , Andre, Futre
Scorers: Madjer, Juary
Bayern Munich: Pfaff, Winklhofer, Nachtweih, Eder, Pfugler, Flick (Lunde), Brehme, Hoeness, Matthaus (capt), Kogl, Rummenigge
Scorer: Kogl

Steaua Bucharest’s reign as European champions did not last long. Having received a bye into the second round, they came up against Anderlecht, the team they had beaten to reach the 1986 final. For much of the first leg in Brussels it looked as though Steaua would frustrate their hosts just as they had done in their previous meeting, but with just 15 minutes remaining the champions were hit by three goals which put them on the verge of elimination. Two goals from Krncevic on 74 and 86 minutes, and another from Jansen after 76 minutes gave Anderlecht a comfortable lead to take to Romania, and when Steaua could only score once in Bucharest, the Belgians had revenge for their semi-final defeat while Steaua were sent crashing out.

The second round draw had ensured that another big name would be going out at an early stage. Real Madrid, who had come back from a 1-0 defeat in Switzerland to beat Young Boys of Berne 5-1 on aggregate, were paired with Juventus who had scored a total of 11 goals against Valur Reykjavik with Michael Laudrup netting five. In Madrid the Juventus defence was hampered by the absence of Scirea, while their attack struggled thanks to the marking job that was done on Platini by Camacho. Real scored after 21 minutes thanks to their predatory striker Emilio Butragueno and had it not been for an inspired performance by goalkeeper Tacconi the Spanish giants could have finished the game with a bigger lead. The return match was a very different affair as Juventus drove forward in search of a goal that would level the tie. After just nine minutes they broke through with Cabrini converting a Mauro cross, but despite the fact that both teams had chances to score further goals, the aggregate scores remained level at 1-1 through the rest of normal time and extra time. So, in the end it came down to a penalty shootout, and it was the home fans who were silenced as both Manfredo and Favero missed their spot kicks for Juventus as Real Madrid won 3-1 to go through.

Bayern Munich were now one of the strongest teams in Europe. With Belgian international goalkeeper Jean-Marie Pfaff behind a defence marshalled by captain Klaus Augenthaler, Lothar Matthaus running the midfield and Michael Rummenigge (brother of Karl Heinz) up front, the German champions were looking to return their club to the heights they had reached back in the mid seventies. They had started their campaign impressively as two goals from striker Reinhold Mathy won the game away to PSV Eindhoven in Holland and a goalless stalemate at home saw them through 2-0 on aggregate. The second round pitted Bayern against Austria Vienna and a 2-0 home win meant that a 1-1 draw in Vienna was enough to get through to the quarter-finals.

The Czechs of Vitkovice had surprisingly beaten Paris St Germain in the opening round, but when they came up against a Porto side that had already put ten goals past Rabat Ajax, they were beaten 3-1 on aggregate.

The quarter-finals saw two teams make a statement of intent with impressive performances. First, a Dynamo Kiev side containing European Footballer of the Year Igor Belanov and former holder of the title Oleg Blokhin, went to Turkey and thrashed Besiktas 5-0 with both of their big stars getting on the score sheet. Goals from Blokhin and Vadim Yevtushenko completed the rout back in the Ukraine to send Dynamo through to the last four in style.

In the second round, Anderlecht may have got revenge for their semi-final defeat a year earlier, but now Bayern Munich had the opportunity to get revenge for the defeat that the Belgians had inflicted upon them in the 1986 quarter-finals. It was a chance that the Germans took full advantage of. The first leg in Munich’s Olympic Stadium saw Rummenigge and Pfugler put Bayern 2-0 ahead in the first half, and when, on 69 minutes, Dieter Hoeness made it 3-0, the Germans were in a very strong position. But when goals from Hoeness and Wolfharth in the final five minutes made it a 5-0 thrashing, the tie was as good as over. A late goal from Matthaus in Brussels even denied Anderlecht the consolation of a second leg victory as Bayern cruised through with an aggregate 7-2 win.

Danish champions Brondby had surprised many by reaching the quarter final stage. They had knocked out Honved and Dynamo Berlin and were now drawn to face Porto. Having restricted their opponents to a 1-0 win in Porto, the Danes were in with a real chance of making the semi-finals when Steffenson scored a first half goal in the home leg to bring the overall scores level. They were to be disappointed, however, as a Juary goal for Porto with just 15 minutes left won the tie for the Portuguese side.

Completing the semi-final line-up was Real Madrid, but only after a hard fought clash with Red Star Belgrade. Red Star had actually taken a 3-0 lead in the first leg and, with the game in Belgrade entering its final minutes were 4-1 ahead, but an 87th minute goal from Hugo Sanchez - his second of the game - gave Real some small hope for the return game. In the Bernabeu, a goal in the first half from Butragueno and another in the second half by Michel was enough to see Real Madrid squeeze through to the last four.

The Bayern Munich v Real Madrid final that many would have wished for was foiled by the semi-final draw which paired the two giants together. But even taking into account Real’s famed powers of recovery, the tie was essentially over after the first leg in Munich. After an uncertain start, Bayern soon took control of the game as they swarmed forward towards the Real goal. After ten minutes Augenthaler exchanged passes with Dorfner before squeezing his shot past Buyo in the Real goal. On the half hour came the most controversial moment of the match. A Brehme pass put Dorfner through on goal, but as he attempted to go around Buyo, the Real goalkeeper seemed to grab the ball cleanly before Dorfner fell over the goalkeepers body. Scottish referee Robert Valentine, however, decreed that a foul had been made and he awarded a penalty. The Real players were incensed and held play up for some time with their protests, but eventually Matthaus stepped up to make it 2-0. Six minutes later, with the Real players still fuming, Wohlfarth stabbed the ball home for a third goal. Then, to make matters even worse for the Spaniards, Juanito reacted to a foul on Chendo by kicking Matthaus on the ground and pushing the referee - he was sent off. Butragueno did pull a goal back before the break, but in the second half Matthaus scored from the penalty spot again after Mino handled the ball, and Mino was then sent off for a wild late tackle to complete Real’s miserable night. After his teams 4-1 defeat, Real coach Leo Beenhakker said: ‘At this moment the players are angry. They will still be angry in two weeks, but being angry does not affect them. I believe they can still win.’

The second leg was marred by the behaviour of home supporters who delayed the kick-off by over five minutes as they hurled flares and other objects in the direction of Pfaff in the Bayern goal. And as the game began, and Real showed no signs of staging a recovery, the game was held up once more as objects were thrown onto the pitch again. After 28 minutes, however, the atmosphere changed as first Real scored when Santillana scrambled home a corner, and then, two minutes later, Bayern’s inspirational captain Augenthaler was sent off after a scuffle with Sanchez.

Real could now sense that a comeback similar to the one they had achieved in the previous round was possible and for the rest of the first half they pounded the Bayern goal. Butragueno, Sanchez and Vazquez all went close and Pfaff made a great full length save from a powerful Gordillo shot. After the break, however, Bayern regrouped with Nachtweib switched to fill the role of sweeper and the likes of Eder and Brehme forming a wall in front of the penalty area which managed to snuff out most of the Real attacks. On one of the rare occasions that the Spanish side did break through, Pfaff was again in masterly form as he denied substitute Pardeza with a stunningly agile save. There were no more goals and while Real were reported to UEFA about the unfortunate crowd scenes, Bayern were through to the final.

The second semi-final pitted the less glamorous Porto and Dynamo Kiev against each other. Porto were faced with playing their home game without the injured Casagrande and Laureta and the suspended Frasco and Quim, but they still had the prolific Paolo Futre and it was he who put them ahead just after half-time with a wonderful individual goal. A penalty converted by Andre after 57 minutes gave Porto a two goal lead, but Yakovenko put the tie in the balance once more when he scored on 74 minutes. The game ended 2-1 to leave both teams with a chance of reaching the final.

In Kiev, Porto took a fourth minute lead through Celso’s twenty yard free-kick, and Gomes added a second goal on 11 minutes when he headed home a corner kick. Kiev then struck back through Mikhailichenk who scored just two minutes later, and the same man later hit both the crossbar and the post. Dynamo, however, were unable to score again and Porto were 4-2 winners on aggregate. And so Porto reached their first ever European Cup Final, and became the first Portuguese side to reach that stage since Benfica in 1968.

Both teams were without significant players for the final. As well as their suspended captain Augenthaler, Bayern were also without their winger Roland Wohlfarth, while Porto had both centre-back Lima Pereira and striker Fernando Gomes out with broken legs. Bayern were big favourites to win in front of 62,000 spectators in Vienna’s Prater Stadium, and they took the lead after 24 minutes. The goal came from a throw-in level with the Porto penalty area. With Porto’s Magelhaes standing three yards in front of Pfugler as he prepared to take the throw, Belgian referee Alexis Ponnet strangely ordered him back 10 yards, and as he retreated the throw was taken. Slightly off balance, Magelhaes managed to get his head to the ball, but he could only flick it towards Bayerns Ludwig Kogl who headed the ball just beyond the despairing dive of Pfaff and into the Porto net. It had been ten years since any team had scored more than one goal in a European Cup final, so the odds were now stacked even more firmly against the Portuguese side. Bayern went on to dominate the rest of the first half, with Rummenigge coming close with a cross shot, but Porto made it to the interval with just a one goal deficit.

At half-time Porto manager Artur Jorge brought Juary on for Quim and the substitute, along with fellow Brazilian Celso, was instrumental in the Porto comeback which happened in the second half. They provided the ammunition for forwards Futre and Madjer to cause havoc amongst the Bayern defence. It was not until the 77th minute, however, that the pressure finally told, but it was then that one of the most memorable European Cup Final goals was scored. As Porto attacked down the right hand side, the ball was played through to Juary and as Pfaff dived at his feet, the Brazilian flicked the ball to his right where Madjer, with his back to the goal, cheekily back heeled the ball into the net. Before Bayern could recover from the shock, they were behind. The same two men behind the equaliser combined once more as this time Madjer ran down the left wing before crossing to the far post where Juary volleyed the ball high into the roof of the net.

There were still ten minutes remaining, but Bayern never really threatened the Porto goal again before the final whistle blew to end probably the most exciting final for a decade and, for the second season running, crown a surprise winner. The European Cup was returning to Portugal for the first time in 25 years and Porto had joined their rivals Benfica as Portuguese winners of the trophy. Maybe more importantly they had shown that, after years of dull and negative finals, attacking skilful play could still prevail over sterile tactics and that the likes of Madjer, Juary and Futre could lead a team to the ultimate prize in club football.


Go to gallery

European cup final tickets